Manchester United had the last laugh against Liverpool at a noisy Old Trafford last night.
Erik ten Hag won his first match for the club in some style to pile more misery on Jurgen Klopp.
The Red Devils were electrifying in the first half with their pace creating all sorts of problems for the opposition defenders.
Joe Gomez was nowhere to be seen, Marcus Rashford gave Virgil van Dijk a hard time and Anthony Elanga kept Trent Alexander-Arnold on the back foot for most of the half.
Jadon Sancho was also at his sublime best and his composure was evident in his well-taken goal. It was a completely dominant first-half performance for United.
The Anfield outfit gained control of the game after the break. Anthony Martial’s introduction for Elanga opened up space for the team but Mohamed Salah and co started to create trouble for United.
The home side eventually won the match but the game highlighted one major issue. The Red Devils made life difficult at times for Liverpool with their pace, but they were unable to keep up their attacking intensity throughout the game.
United need to sign pacy wingers who can create havoc every game and the manager must sign the right players to increase squad depth. The two most notable names to fill the void are Ajax’s Antony and PSV Eindhoven’s Cody Gakpo.
A double swoop would contribute to a new look attacking line-up
The Red Devils need a stable attacking unit and changing formations is not the best choice for any manager. As evidenced by the first two games, Ten Hag has relied heavily on players switching positions.
But the scenario would be different if the club acquired players that are born to shine in their respective positions.
Gakpo has moulded himself into a modern-style winger who plays on the left side and cuts inside.
His fierce pace and fine dribbling skills make it easier for him to move to a more central area either to shoot or create chances for his teammates.
His numbers speak volumes as he has scored 45 goals and provided 37 assists for the Eredivisie club. He can also play as a centre-forward bringing more versatility to United.
Ten Hag would use him as a left winger with Antony on the opposite side. The Brazilian powerhouse has terrified Dutch defenders and could do the same for United.
The Ajax star has an eye for flicks and tricks and can carve out excellent chances by switching onto his stronger foot.
It would be frightening to watch both wingers ignite raw pace from both flanks and it would give the manager some much-needed depth.
However, it needs a hefty sum of €150 million to complete a move for both players.
It is often said that fruit comes with a cost, and United need to grab that fruit by flexing its financial muscles.
- Manchester United vs Reading: FA Cup preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Erik ten Hag confirms fresh Man Utd concern ahead of Reading clash
- Man Utd should consider loan move for Federico Chiesa with future buy option
- Three Manchester United players who should start against Reading in the FA Cup
- Man Utd must try and sign Milan Skriniar as Inter Milan set €20m price tag
- Manchester United hold talks with agent of Denzel Dumfries about January Old Trafford move
- Man Utd make final decision on Dusan Vlahovic as Erik ten Hag eyes last signing
- Manchester United can sign Denzel Dumfries for €50 million in January, report claims
- Roy Keane raves about Wout Weghorst after his first goal for Manchester United at Nottingham Forest
- Rashford continues his sensational form in Man Utd’s victory over Nottingham Forest