In an interview with The Athletic, Manchester United defender Tyrell Malacia has said that Cody Gakpo is good enough to play for the best clubs around Europe.
Gakpo has had a tremendous season with PSV where he has bagged 13 goals and 17 assists from just 24 games. He has continued his fine form at the World Cup with three goals.
Amidst his sparkling performances, United have been touted to sign him in January and Malacia believes his Dutch compatriot is ready to take the next step.
He said: “He’s good enough for the top, there’s no doubt.”
United lining up January move for Gakpo
The Red Devils have been heavily linked with Gakpo this year. They tried to sign him in the summer, but had to spend their remaining budget on landing Antony from Ajax.
The club could now return for his services in January. Manager Erik ten Hag has identified him as his top target but United may have to spend at least €60 million to land him.
This price tag could increase due to his stellar displays at the ongoing World Cup but in our view, the Red Devils must look to secure his signature at the earliest possibility.
With interest from Premier League rivals Liverpool, United could end up missing out on the Dutchman if they decide against an approach during the winter transfer window.
Gakpo has pre-dominantly played on the left wing at PSV, but he is also comfortable operating from the number 10 and second striker positions as seen at the World Cup.
He would be a fantastic purchase for the club this winter. His presence could have a big influence in the top-four pursuit similar to what Bruno Fernandes did in 2020/21.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest