Manchester United left-back Tyrell Malacia had a difficult outing during the 2-2 draw against Sevilla in the first leg of the Europa League quarter-final.
The Red Devils made a quick start against the La Liga outfit last night and they raced into a two-goal lead in the 21st minute after a brace from Marcel Sabitzer.
United were in cruise control in the first half but struggled to sustain the same level of intensity after the break as Sevilla started to create more chances.
Malacia had a forgettable game where he was regularly caught out of possession and eventually paid the price, scoring an own goal in the 84th minute.
The Dutchman failed to mop up a loose ball in front of Jesus Navas and seconds later, he ended up deflecting Navas’ cross into his own net.
Things only got worse with Lisandro Martinez’s ankle injury before Harry Maguire scored another unfortunate own goal to put Sevilla level.
United were definitely on the ropes in the closing minutes but in our opinion, this could have been avoided, had Malacia been subbed off.
The 23-year-old simply failed to show up in the quarter-final, winning just three out of 11 duels.
He lost possession on 11 occasions and looked far from assured with his positioning.
It will be interesting to see whether manager Erik ten Hag opts for a change when United travel to City Ground to face Nottingham Forest.
With Luke Shaw out with a hamstring injury, the manager may opt for Diogo Dalot at left-back. The Portuguese is accustomed to the role.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m