Manchester United completed the signing of Alexis Sanchez from Premier League rivals Arsenal on Monday.
The deal saw Henrikh Mkhitaryan go in the opposite direction with no cash exchanging hands.
Sanchez’s arrival at Old Trafford will be a significant boost to Jose Mourinho’s team as the forward has been one of the best players in the world for the best part of a decade.
With more than a week left of the 2018 winter transfer window everyone is wondering if Mourinho will make any more acquisitions this month as we have the Champions League and FA Cup to compete for, as well as a strong finish in the Premier League.
The Metro are today reporting that we are ‘confident’ of signing two more players this month.
Valencia’s Carlos Soler is the first of those mentioned. The 21-year-old has been playing well for surprise package Valencia in this season’s La Liga. The central midfielder is a playmaker who does get stuck in but often commits a few fouls and rarely gets among the goalscorers.
We have been linked to Soler since before the January transfer window opened but I think it would be a surprise if we made a move for the youngster as I don’t see him being a compliment to Paul Pogba, but rather a backup option – and the French midfielder plays every minute!
The second name mentioned in the Metro is Julian Weigl. One would think the Borussia Dortmund holding midfielder could be a direct replacement for Ander Herrera who seemingly isn’t one of Jose’s preferred choices. The 22-year-old can offer us solid protection of the back four and plays a simple passing game in midfield – he’s essentially a more mobile version of Nemanja Matic, but not as powerful.
With Borussia Dortmund being a selling club in recent seasons and not being anywhere near capable of stopping Bayern Munich from winning the Bundesliga season after season, this would be a very possible signing should Mourinho really be interested in the youngster.
The report is more speculation than anything and doesn’t even include suggested transfer fees. However, with Michael Carrick off at the end of the season, Herrera and Maourane Fellaini both potentially off, then some young replacements who already have plenty of experience under their belts, only sounds promising for the future.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup