In the summer of 2008 two fullbacks will be headed to Old Trafford from Fluminese. Of course, both of them are Brazilian. One plays at right back and the other, on the left. Close observers of United would have realized by now that we are talking about Fabio and Rafael.
They are identical twins and will be 18 when they arrive at OT next year. There is a good chance that they are the real reasons behind United not aggressively pursuing long term replacements for Gary Neville. Both are right now playing for the Brazil U-17 team in the U-17 World Cup in South Korea. FIFA.com runs an interview with the identical twins, who are really hard to tell apart.
Fabio is touted to be the more promising of the two – he also is the captain of the side. The interview is pretty good and also goes to show how attractive OT is now for Brazilians due to the already strong Portuguese speaking presence there.
The U-17 World cup is in full swing and Fabio has scored three goals in two games. Brazil thrashed New Zealand and Korea 7-0 and 6-0 respectively. To see the twins in action I found only clips from the New Zealand game, go ahead and click here to go to the FIFA website for the highlights of the NZ game. I know it’s only New Zealand, but they remind me of Daniel Alves when running all over the park.
Oh well, they still have a long way to go, but they also sure look promising.
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow as Joshua Zirkzee wants to stay in Serie A
- Man Utd set to battle it out with Tottenham to land Bayer Leverkusen star Odion Kossounou
- Jeremie Frimpong is the most serious target for Man Utd, impressed by his performances
- Ratcliffe outlines three-year plan to knock Man City and Liverpool off their perch
- Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw set to miss the rest of the season
- Is Ashford’s United Arrival Now Simply A Matter Of Time?
- Wayne Rooney identifies Manchester United’s biggest issue right now
- Manchester United invite Gary Neville to help regenerate Old Trafford and surrounding area
- Manchester United’s FA Cup chances – can Hojlund fire the Red Devils to a trophy this season?
- Jadon Sancho struggles in Dortmund’s Champions League draw against PSV