Manchester United moved a step closer towards securing Champions League football for next season with a 1-0 home win over West Ham United on Sunday night.
Although Craig Dawson’s 53rd-minute own goal was the only difference between the sides on the scoreboard, it was pretty much one-way traffic at Old Trafford.
A narrow winning margin may give the impression of a tight contest, but in reality, United utterly outclassed London visitors.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side put up a dominant performance to bounce back from a dismal 1-1 home draw with AC Milan in Thursday’s Europa League fixture.
Much of the credit has to go to captain Harry Maguire, who made light work of keeping Michail Antonio and co at bay.
In fact, United prevented the top-four contenders from producing a single shot towards Dean Henderson’s goal in what was a truly inspirational team display.
After hitting the headlines for an epic miss against the Rossoneri in midweek, Maguire showed great character and responded to criticism in remarkable fashion.
The 28-year-old’s monstrous showing includes seven interceptions, eight ball recoveries, five out of six aerial duels won and a vital block to Tomas Soucek’s close-range attempt ten minutes before the final whistle.
Saturday’s performance from the Englishman has caught United’s fans’ attention, who rushed to Twitter to pay tribute to their captain.
United did suffer for a bit after David Moyes introduced the likes of Said Benrahma and Manuel Lanzini midway through the second half.
However, Solskjaer’s men continued to dominate possession and create chances, with Mason Greenwood clattering the right post after a wonderful through ball from Marcus Rashford.
West Ham barely got to touch the ball in the remainder of the game, let alone put Henderson to the test, as United claimed a well-deserved three points in the end.
- Gleison Bremer shows why Man Utd want to sign him this summer
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow