With Wayne Rooney’s long-term future sorted out, the striker conducted an in-depth interview with MUTV this afternoon and after his reintroduction to Old Trafford at the weekend Wayne Rooney has been spoke of his apprehensions about the return.
Rooney began: “It was a great feeling [to wear the shirt again], obviously having been out for a long time and the issues that have gone on over the last few weeks
“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about the reaction from the fans but overall I thought the reception was brilliant and all I want to do is get on the pitch and score goals.
“I can understand the fans’ frustrations with the contract negotiations, how it happened in the public eye which made it more difficult.
“But at the end of the day, the main thing for myself and the club was that we managed to agree that deal,” he told MUTV
He also spoke of the players in the squad and their reaction to his return, plus he stated he intends to stay at United for many years to come.
“The players have been fine, there’s been no problems whatsoever so again the press have made a big deal out of nothing,” he said.
“I’ve always made it aware that I wanted to stay at this club. I had my concerns and voiced my opinion but it went from there,” He concluded.
Also in the news has been Rooney’s strike partner Dimitar Berbatov.
With speculation linking him away from Old Trafford after not being named on the substitutes bench against Wigan, his agent Emil Dantchev has responded to such claims stating, “He is very happy at Manchester United, he has a contract and there are no problems for him.”
“No-one has ever mentioned to me anything about Dimitar leaving – the media speculation is completely false,” Dantchev continued.
“Dimitar is staying at Manchester United, there is no question to ask. He is concentrating on playing well for his manager, nothing else.
“He has an excellent relationship with Alex Ferguson – I assure you there are no problems and he will continue to play in Manchester.”
In other speculation regarding the forwards at United, Federico Macheda has been linked with a return to Italy, with Juventus in particular, but his agent, Giovanni Bia has refuted the rumours, “I don’t know anything about it,” he told calciomercato.com.
“I don’t know if the two clubs have talked about it but no-one has called me.
“For now, I’d rule out a move to Turin, but I don’t think he’s ready to come back at all.
“Macheda is doing well in England and has no nostalgia for Italy. He is highly regarded at United and feels the confidence of Ferguson, and he knows that he can only grow at such a prestigious club.” He concluded.
So if the press are to be believed there will be some movement in the United forward line, but one thing we know for sure, it will be a forward line that will contain Wayne Rooney.
- ‘He did magnificent’: Erik ten Hag praises Rasmus Hojlund’s impact in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag must start Aaron Wan-Bissaka to stop Man United’s old nemesis Wilfried Zaha
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hojlund returns
- ‘If they are good enough, they are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Manchester United’s route to finishing in the top four
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause