Tottenham Hotspur have opened talks with Manchester United over the possible signing of Anthony Martial, according to reports.
The 22-year-old was one of the most exciting young prospects in Europe when we signed him from AS Monaco three years ago in a deal that could be worth up to £61.5 million.
After making a positive start to his career at Old Trafford under Louis van Gaal, Martial’s career has taken a dip under the management of Jose Mourinho.
The French international has been in and out of the first team under the Portuguese coach and struggled for any regular action following the arrival of Alexis Sanchez in January. As a result he is not part of Didier Deschamps’ 23-man squad for this summer’s World Cup and is strongly linked with a move away from the club.
Martial started only four Premier League games following the arrival of Sanchez during the winter transfer window and was even publicly criticised at times by Jose last season.
The Metro claim that both Premier League rivals Chelsea and Arsenal have expressed interest in bringing Anthony Martial to London as they look to get back into the top four next season.
However, it is Tottenham who have made the first move as the Daily Mail are reporting that Mauricio Pochettino’s side are set to open formal talks with us over a potential transfer.
The Argentinian manager has been promised large transfer funds this summer in order to make the North London club genuine Premier League title contenders. Spurs have finished in the top three in three consecutive seasons under Pochettino.
Anthony Martial has emerged as a top target of Tottenham’s as they look to agree a deal with us.
What’s more, we’re strongly linked with the signing of their centre-back, Toby Alderweireld, so an exchange deal could certainly be made if the interest is real from both sides.
- Man Utd set to appoint Chris Armas as first-team coach under Ralf Rangnick
- Tactical Analysis: Hugely encouraging signs in Ralf Rangnick’s debut against Crystal Palace
- Man Utd fans delighted with Fred’s stand-out display against Crystal Palace
- Ralf Rangnick heaps praise on Fred and Scott McTominay after Crystal Palace win
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace
- Who will Rangnick target in the transfer window?
- Man Utd fans react to Fred’s performance vs Arsenal
- Michael Carrick leaves Manchester United in wake of Arsenal win
- Manchester United vs Arsenal 3-2: Cristiano Ronaldo saves the day again
- Michael Carrick provides fresh injury update on Raphael Varane