Tottenham Hotspur have made contact with Jesse Lingard’s entourage regarding a possible switch to north London, football.london reports.
The England international was excellent on loan with West Ham United during the second half of last season, bagging nine goals and five assists from 16 appearances.
He was tipped to join them permanently over the summer, but then-United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made it clear that he wanted to keep hold of his services this season.
Lingard was also content to stay put, but the decision has not proved worthwhile with just 272 minutes of competitive action over the past five-and-a-half months.
The United graduate can now sign a pre-contract with a foreign club, having entered the final six months of his deal, but he may prefer to stay in England.
West Ham could return for his services, but it is now reported that Spurs have entered the pursuit. They have made contact with the player’s camp over a potential move.
Spurs are open to a cut-price transfer this month, but United may reject their approach. They could wait until the summer before discussing a contract with Lingard.
Lingard would have fancied turning around his United career after a sublime loan spell at West Ham, but he has barely got the opportunity with just 87 minutes across eight league appearances.
His situation appears unlikely to change anytime soon. Since the appointment of interim boss Ralf Rangnick, he has either been on the bench or left out of the matchday squad for the league games.
United could benefit financially with his winter departure, but they are unlikely to do business with either West Ham or Spurs, who are serious contenders for the top four this term.
Lingard may ideally need to wait until the summer to join one of the London duo. A temporary or permanent move to a foreign club could still be on the cards this month.
The playmaker has 32 international caps to his name. He needs to be playing regularly at a high level to boost his prospects of an England recall ahead of the World Cup in November.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Crystal Palace in direct talks with Man Utd for Donny van de Beek
- Roma join AC Milan in race to sign Eric Bailly
- Man Utd agree to loan Anthony Martial to Sevilla
- Man Utd favourites to sign Boubacar Kamara
- AC Milan still interested in Man Utd defender Eric Bailly
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Porto winger Luis Diaz
- Man Utd shortlist four candidates to become their next manager
- Juventus and Sevilla exploring Anthony Martial loan deal
- Anthony Martial plays key role in Man Utd’s late win vs West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick reacts to Marcus Rashford’s dramatic winner against West Ham