Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United have been offered the chance to sign Manchester United defender Harry Maguire this summer, according to ESPN.
The England international had a difficult 2022/23 season with the Red Devils, and he managed just eight starts in the Premier League under manager Erik ten Hag.
This has led to suggestions that he could leave the club, and ESPN claim that Spurs and West Ham have been offered the opportunity to explore a deal for him.
Maguire is currently on weekly wages of around £200,000-a-week, and it is reported that his salary could increase with United’s Champions League qualification.
Hence, the centre-back may have to accept a pay-cut to join Spurs or West Ham. ESPN report that the latter’s pursuit of Maguire depends on David Moyes staying.
United need an upgrade on Maguire this summer
Maguire has been a good signing for the Red Devils. He has been effective towards the end of games where he is required to make clearances and win aerial duels.
The England international has fared well in a low defensive block, but he has struggled playing out from the back for United when there is a high press.
Hence, the club need a clear upgrade on him in the summer. Napoli star Kim Min-jae is currently the top target, and he would be an outstanding purchase.
The hierarchy will be hoping to sanction Maguire’s sale, and it remains to be seen whether Spurs or West Ham make a formal proposal for his services.
Both clubs are known to be interested in the former Leicester City man, but United may have to lower their £40 million price tag to sell him this summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd