This post was written yesterday but for some reason didn’t show up on the blog. Oh well, read it for your own amusement. Match report will follow…
SAF has admitted ahead of today’s game against Spurs that he has a major headache in picking the right combination of players in his central midfield position.
That was a problem I was expecting once Scholes returned from injury. It is a happy headache, no doubt, but the boss will have to summon his greatest powers of man management, while simultaneously making sure he doesn’t go the Rafa “the tinkerer” Benitez way.
Spurs have become a vastly improved side and while we beat them 3-1 in the FA Cup, things could be different this time. One, they are playing at home and two, their defence is bolstered by the arrival of Woodgate and Alan Hutton; the latter will most likely make his debut today. The downside for us is that there could be no Dawson in defence, which will deprive the game of
comedy moments. So we would have to earn our goals.
I would expect Giggs to return with Ronaldo on the other flank. Rooney and Tevez should continue their fearsome partnership and our fab four take up the defensive positions; I am not really sure whether Evra is suspended or his previous 4 cards have been reset.
It is the midfield that we would return to debate although Paul Scholes looks a certain starter. For the other berth I think it would be a toss up between Hargreaves and Anderson. I would prefer Anderson because of his fearlessness, pace and strength in the tackle. He’s also upstaged players like Gerrard and Fabregas.
SAF has talked about the need to go unbeaten from now on with about 14-15 games left this season and for good reason to. This season’s title race is interesting with three teams in the fray, so all the more motivation for the team to do well.
Prediction: 1-0 to United
- Man Utd should sign Youri Tielemans
- Anthony Martial could stay at Man Utd despite being ‘transfer listed’
- Thomas Zilliacus could consider buying Liverpool if Manchester United bid fails
- Man Utd could avoid signing Houssem Aouar despite journalist claim
- Newcastle United in advanced talks to sign Man Utd’s Head of Young Recruitment David Harrison
- 100% aerial duels & 100% take-ons won: Man Utd should target Amadou Onana
- Wout Weghorst opens up on life at Man Utd
- Fresh date confirmed for Man Utd’s postponed fixture, one more game rescheduled
- ‘Serious option’: Raphael Varane opens the door to retiring at Man Utd
- Man United owners will consider selling minority shares if revised bids don’t impress them