This post was written yesterday but for some reason didn’t show up on the blog. Oh well, read it for your own amusement. Match report will follow…
SAF has admitted ahead of today’s game against Spurs that he has a major headache in picking the right combination of players in his central midfield position.
That was a problem I was expecting once Scholes returned from injury. It is a happy headache, no doubt, but the boss will have to summon his greatest powers of man management, while simultaneously making sure he doesn’t go the Rafa “the tinkerer” Benitez way.
Spurs have become a vastly improved side and while we beat them 3-1 in the FA Cup, things could be different this time. One, they are playing at home and two, their defence is bolstered by the arrival of Woodgate and Alan Hutton; the latter will most likely make his debut today. The downside for us is that there could be no Dawson in defence, which will deprive the game of
comedy moments. So we would have to earn our goals.
I would expect Giggs to return with Ronaldo on the other flank. Rooney and Tevez should continue their fearsome partnership and our fab four take up the defensive positions; I am not really sure whether Evra is suspended or his previous 4 cards have been reset.
It is the midfield that we would return to debate although Paul Scholes looks a certain starter. For the other berth I think it would be a toss up between Hargreaves and Anderson. I would prefer Anderson because of his fearlessness, pace and strength in the tackle. He’s also upstaged players like Gerrard and Fabregas.
SAF has talked about the need to go unbeaten from now on with about 14-15 games left this season and for good reason to. This season’s title race is interesting with three teams in the fray, so all the more motivation for the team to do well.
Prediction: 1-0 to United
- Ian Wright wants Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag gone once Sir Jim Ratcliffe arrives
- Roy Keane wants Manchester United to ditch Antony, Raphael Varane, Harry Maguire and more
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after 2-1 win against Chelsea
- Erik ten Hag has another undroppable star in Scott McTominay after Chelsea win
- Sofyan Amrabat produces his best Man Utd display vs Chelsea
- Juventus cool interest in exiled Man Utd star Jadon Sancho due to financial concerns
- Antony proves his worth with fantastic Man Utd performance vs Chelsea
- Manchester United 2-1 Chelsea: Player ratings as McTominay powers the Red Devils to sixth
- Full confirmed line-ups: Man Utd vs Chelsea
- Andre Onana reveals why his Manchester United teammates call him ‘the boss’