Manchester United are in the summer transfer window for a new centre-back.
Jose Mourinho wants to find a long-term partner for Eric Bailly after seemingly not having faith in either Phil Jones nor Chris Smalling, whilst last summer’s big signing, Victor Lindelof, failed to settle into life in the Premier League.
Earlier this summer we had been strongly linked with a move for Barcelona’s Samuel Umtiti, until the French international signed a new deal with the La Liga giants.
Other reports suggested that if we missed out on Umtiti we would make a move for Sevilla’s Clement Lenglet instead.
However, it appears we’ve missed out on another French centre-back as Spanish outlet Sport are reporting that the 22-year-old is on his way to Barcelona in a €35 million deal – the price of the player’s buy-out clause.
The report claims that Lenglet has told friends and family that he will sign a five-year deal at the Catalan club with the transfer officially going through on 1 July.
This will be a blow for us now that we are heading towards the end of June and Jose Mourinho is yet to bring a new centre-back in this summer.
We remain interested in Tottenham Hotspur’s Toby Alderweireld but it seems we may be priced out for the Belgium international by the North London club.
- Man Utd set to appoint Chris Armas as first-team coach under Ralf Rangnick
- Tactical Analysis: Hugely encouraging signs in Ralf Rangnick’s debut against Crystal Palace
- Man Utd fans delighted with Fred’s stand-out display against Crystal Palace
- Ralf Rangnick heaps praise on Fred and Scott McTominay after Crystal Palace win
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace
- Who will Rangnick target in the transfer window?
- Man Utd fans react to Fred’s performance vs Arsenal
- Michael Carrick leaves Manchester United in wake of Arsenal win
- Manchester United vs Arsenal 3-2: Cristiano Ronaldo saves the day again
- Michael Carrick provides fresh injury update on Raphael Varane