Manchester United went into the World Cup break on a high with a dramatic 2-1 Premier League win over Fulham at Craven Cottage on Sunday evening.
Teenage sensation Alejandro Garnacho made the headlines with his maiden league goal in the 93rd minute and he looks set to have a bright future ahead.
Today’s morning papers should have focused on Garnacho’s winner, but much of the attention has been taken away by Cristiano Ronaldo’s explosive interview.
Speaking to Piers Morgan, the Portuguese forward said that he was ‘betrayed’ by the Red Devils and does not have ‘any respect’ for manager Erik ten Hag.
After such comments, it is unlikely that he will turn up in the United shirt again. The club must look to release him from his contract as soon as possible.
With this in mind, here are three strikers that could replace the troublesome star.
Matheus Cunha – Atletico Madrid
The Brazilian was on the radar of United during the summer transfer window when Ronaldo was heavily linked with an exit. Atletico made it clear that he was not for sale.
However, their situation may completely change at the turn of the year. The club are set to face losses of around €30 million after their shock Champions League group campaign where they finished fourth.
Cunha is one of the players that has been touted to leave in January. United’s hierarchy could be tempted to return for the 23-year-old, who has been a super-sub at Atletico.
Jonathan David – Lille
David has been regularly linked with a Premier League move over the past year or so and he could make the switch when the transfer window reopens in the New Year.
The Canadian has nine goals and three assists for Lille this season. Aside from his striker role, he can also play as an attacking midfielder with his ability to make key passes.
The 22-year-old is presently valued at €45 million by Transfermarkt, but his price tag could rise if he were to star for his country at the upcoming World Cup in Qatar.
Moussa Dembele – Lyon
Dembele has been linked with United in almost every transfer window in recent years. The Red Devils may have the chance of signing him on a cut-price deal in January.
The Frenchman had an outstanding 2021/22 season with Lyon with 22 goals and five assists from 36 outings but his form has been poor this term with just two goals from 12 games.
Despite this, he could be considered as a risk-free signing with his contract expiring in June next year. He could be prised away from Les Gones for a bargain fee this winter.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest
- Could Kobbie Mainoo make his league debut for Manchester United in the absence of star midfielders?
- Man Utd’s transfer priority is clear after fresh Anthony Martial injury blow
- Man Utd handed early Europa League boost with two key Barcelona stars injured
- Erik ten Hag has easy midfield decision vs Leeds United with four players out
- Nottingham Forest eager to sign Dean Henderson permanently next summer