Manchester United have had a good first half to the Premier League season and are currently behind fourth-placed Newcastle United on goal difference with a game in hand.
Their summer signings have played a key role over the first three months, but the club must strengthen their squad further to potentially challenge for the title.
Diogo Dalot has had a terrific revival from the right-back spot under manager Erik ten Hag, but it is quite clear that the club need a solid competitor alongside him.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka is currently the deputy behind the Portuguese, but the 24-year-old has barely played with just four minutes of competitive football this term.
In our view, a new right-back could be prioritised during the winter transfer window and here are three candidates that the Red Devils could attempt to pursue.
Jeremie Frimpong – Bayer Leverkusen
Frimpong made the switch to the Bundesliga outfit from Celtic last term. He has since evolved into a key player for them from the right-back and right wing-back roles.
This season, the Dutchman has bagged five goals and two assists from 18 appearances in all competitions, but has also contributed defensively for his side.
The 21-year-old has averaged nearly two tackles and one interception per game. He is currently valued at £22.5 million by Transfermarkt, but could cost much more.
With three-and-a-half years left on his contract, it may not be easy to prise him away this winter unless United are prepared to make a significant transfer offer.
The Manchester City graduate is said to be a ‘very interesting profile‘ for Ten Hag.
Denzel Dumfries – Inter Milan
Dumfries has been continuously linked with a Premier League move over the past year and he could still leave in January amid the Nerazzurri’s ongoing financial problems.
A report earlier this month claimed that he could be available for £39m and it remains to be seen whether the United hierarchy are prepared to make such a big outlay in January.
Dumfries is vastly experienced than Frimpong at 26. He has played exclusively at right wing-back for club and country since last summer, but was formerly a right-back at PSV.
The Dutchman has four goal contributions for Inter this term while creating seven big chances. He has also won four duels per game with an average of nearly one tackle.
His strong physique, transitional play and superb work rate make him an ideal fit for Ten Hag’s system.
Max Aarons – Norwich City
Aarons has been a long-term target for the Red Devils and there are no surprises that he has recently been linked. Norwich are willing to sell him for £10m this winter.
The 22-year-old has made 19 appearances across all competitions this season where he has caught the eye with his tackling as well as ability to make clearances.
However, he has not provided much in the final third. Aarons has just one goal involvement thus far. Despite this, he could be a realistic target for United in January.
Ten Hag has played a key part in improving Dalot’s attacking output this term. The United hierarchy may feel he could do the same with Aarons, who still has potential.
If United are looking for a low-cost buy to reinforce the right-back department, Aaron could be the choice. A new signing could coincide with Wan-Bissaka’s exit – most likely on loan.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Sir Dave Brailsford and Jean-Claude Blanc meet Manchester United executives at Old Trafford as Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s 25% acquisition edges closer
- Man Utd showing interest in Borussia Dortmund winger Donyell Malen
- Man Utd confirm Amad Diallo has returned to full training ahead of Bournemouth game
- United boss Erik ten Hag shuts the door on January reinforcement
- Ian Wright wants Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag gone once Sir Jim Ratcliffe arrives
- Roy Keane wants Manchester United to ditch Antony, Raphael Varane, Harry Maguire and more
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after 2-1 win against Chelsea
- Erik ten Hag has another undroppable star in Scott McTominay after Chelsea win
- Sofyan Amrabat produces his best Man Utd display vs Chelsea
- Juventus cool interest in exiled Man Utd star Jadon Sancho due to financial concerns