Manchester United trio Luke Shaw, Harry Maguire and Dean Henderson have made the 28-man squad for England’s upcoming Nations League games against Italy and Germany.
Shaw has had a difficult start to the campaign amid injuries and strong competition from Tyrell Malacia, but the left-back has still been picked by manager Gareth Southgate.
Alongside Shaw, club captain Harry Maguire has made the cut. There are no surprises over Maguire’s inclusion, given he has been a mainstay for the Three Lions over the past five years.
Apart from the duo, Dean Henderson has been chosen among three goalkeepers. The United graduate, currently on loan at Nottingham Forest, has been rewarded for his fine form.
Here is the full 28-man squad picked by Southgate
Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho unfortunate to miss out
While we are delighted with Henderson, Maguire and Shaw making the squad, we are quite clearly surprised that Rashford and Sancho have not been picked.
The duo have not featured for the Three Lions since last year, but their glowing form over the past few weeks probably warranted recalls to the national side this month.
Rashford definitely deserved a comeback after bagging three goals and two assists this campaign. His exclusion may have been partly influenced by his muscle injury.
The Red Devils graduate still has time to make the final 26-man World Cup squad, but that could highly depend on his displays between October and the tournament.
Both Rashford and Sancho will need to be heavily involved in United’s wins over the next two months to persuade Southgate to pick them for the major showpiece in Qatar.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season
- Tottenham Hotspur will resist Harry Kane sale to Man Utd this summer
- Three midfielders Manchester United could sign from the relegated Premier League clubs this summer