Manchester United are expected to go on another spending spree this summer and a goalkeeper could be one of the priorities due to David de Gea’s inconsistent displays.
The Spaniard has been prone to making goalkeeping blunders in recent years and the frequency has increased recently with errors against Sevilla and West Ham United.
While De Gea is likely to pen a new contract, reports claim that the 32-year-old could be phased out of the starting line-up next season. Here are three goalkeepers that could take his place.
David Raya – Brentford
De Gea’s compatriot has been one of the best performing keepers in the top-flight. He was crucial to the Bees’ promotion and has continued to impress for the west London club.
The 27-year-old has completed 61% of his passes this term which is less than De Gea but he has excelled with his long ball distribution and ability to pick out teammates in the opposition half.
Raya has completed 7.8 passes beyond the halfway line which is superior to De Gea’s record (2.6).
Bees manager Thomas Frank has already acknowledged that Raya could leave the club at the end of the season but won’t come on the cheap with a price tag of around £40 million.
Emiliano Martinez – Aston Villa
Martinez has had a massive career transformation since his move to Villa Park from Arsenal. He is now an undisputed starter for Argentina after his heroics in the Copa America and World Cup.
The 30-year-old is eyeing a bigger challenge in the next transfer window and Gaston Edul has revealed that United are one of the contenders to sign him alongside Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur.
His passing statistics are only slightly better than De Gea but the World Cup winner is more assured with the ball at his feet. He also likes to make high claims and regular run-outs outside his box.
He is currently valued at £24m by Transfermarkt but Villa could easily demand close to £50m if he decides to move on. Martinez still has four years remaining on his contract with the Midlands club.
Bart Verbruggen – Anderlecht
Verbruggen has had a fantastic breakout season in Belgian top-flight. The young Dutchman has been ever-present for Anderlecht since the season restart following the World Cup.
Still only 20, he has caught the eye with his passing, high claims, shot-stopping as well as his mobility. Verbruggen likes to operate as a sweeper-keeper and has been likened to Manuel Neuer.
There are no surprises that Bayern Munich are lining him up as a successor to the German star. If United are eyeing a long-term goalkeeper, the Dutchman could be the perfect candidate.
They may need to act fast in the player’s pursuit as Bayern tend to do their transfer business early.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd