Manchester United suffered a huge transfer blow on Boxing Day with arch-rivals Liverpool winning the race to sign PSV Eindhoven star Cody Gakpo in January.
The Dutch star had been mentioned as manager Erik Ten Hag’s top winter target and the club will now have to look at alternative options ahead of next month.
Here are three fallback options that United could consider
Joao Felix – Atletico Madrid
The Portuguese star has been a long-term target for the Red Devils and he could be available on loan next month following his fall-out with manager Diego Simeone.
The 23-year-old has huge potential but has not lived up to the expectations. In our view, a more progressive playing style at United could bring the best out of him.
Memphis Depay – Barcelona
Depay has been linked with a reunion with United for a number of seasons and a transfer could materialise as he enters the final six months of his Barcelona deal.
The La Liga giants are prepared to sell him for a knockdown fee of around £4.3m. Depay would be a quality acquisition for United with his versatile attacking qualities.
He averages a goal contribution in every 164 minutes at Barcelona. His experience could be useful for the club as they aim to qualify for next season’s Champions League.
Eric-Maxim Choupo Moting – Bayern Munich
Many United fans may not like the transfer links with the former Stoke City man but he is one of the in-form strikers in European football at the moment.
The 33-year-old has 14 goal involvements in 16 outings for Bayern. He has been terrific after Robert Lewandowski’s summer exit but could leave this winter.
Choupo-Moting will enter the last six months of his deal next month and The Athletic claim that he could be available. It would be a huge surprise if Bayern sell him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony