Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag should be provided with funds to invest in the squad this summer and a new striker could be the main priority for the Dutchman.
However, he may also want another young midfielder in the squad. Here are three emerging French talents that the Red Devils could consider in the next transfer window.
Khephren Thuram – Nice
Thuram is currently in his fourth campaign with Nice’s first team and has been earning plaudits for his performances. The 22-year-old recently earned his first call-up to the France national side.
The midfielder is capable of playing in both the central midfield and defensive midfield positions. He has caught the eye with his good passing accuracy (87%) and ability to create key chances.
The Frenchman has contributed two goals and eight assists for the Ligue 1 outfit, who are making a late push for the European places. He is currently valued at €40 million by Nice.
Manu Kone – Borussia Monchengladbach
Kone is more of a defensive midfielder by trade. The 21-year-old has been almost ever-present for the German outfit and has excelled with his defensive contributions.
The youngster has won a stunning 7.4 duels per outing in the Bundesliga this campaign. He has also won 2.9 tackles while completing nearly two take-ons per appearance.
In doing so, Kone has still controlled the proceedings (87% passes completed). He could be a top-class deputy for Casemiro if Scott McTominay were to leave the club.
Monchengladbach are set to hold out for at least €50m for his services.
Rayan Cherki – Lyon
While Kone and Thuram operate in the centre of the park, Cherki is an attacking midfielder by trade. At 19, he has registered nearly 100 appearances for Lyon in all competitions.
This season, the teenager has bagged four goals and four assists from 29 outings. He could be seen as a quality deputy to Bruno Fernandes if United can beat the competition to sign him.
Paris Saint-Germain are already on the trail of the youngster likened to Nabil Fekir but it won’t be easy to prise him away with Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas being a tough negotiator.
Stats from Sofascore.com and Transfermarkt.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’