Manchester United have identified Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong as their priority target for the summer but have ultimately failed to land him.
While the Red Devils have agreed an £85 million fee with Barcelona for the player, the Dutchman’s unwillingness to leave amongst a plethora of other reasons has seen the chances for a deal all but scuppered.
The transfer window is now in its final two weeks and United’s disastrous start to the season has increased their desperation for new signings.
United seem prepared to wait until transfer deadline day before admitting failure in the pursuit of their main target.
However, if they have a change of heart, here are three signings the Premier League club could make in the final weeks of the window with the budget for De Jong that will vastly improve the side and not just their midfield.
United are worryingly short of numbers up top with Erik ten Hag stating they are one injury away from a problem.
With Cristiano Ronaldo’s unresolved future not helping matters either, the Old Trafford outfit should now turn their attention to PSV Eindhoven’s Gakpo.
The 23-year-old is capable of playing anywhere along the front line and has started the campaign brilliantly well after winning the Dutch Footballer of the Year award last season.
Gakpo, who is reportedly valued at just £35m, would be a top acquisition for the future and will leave United with enough in the bank for other signings.
Many people speculated before the start of the season that David de Gea would struggle to adapt to Ten Hag’s requirements from his first-choice goalkeeper and they have been proven right.
The Spaniard put out a horror showing against Brentford at the weekend, ultimately leading to humiliation for the Red Devils.
A new goalkeeper has now been added to United’s shortlist and Newcastle’s Martin Dubravka could be the man for the job, having fallen down the pecking order at Tyneside.
The Slovenian should not cost too much and, with United reportedly willing to spend up to £7m on a new goalkeeper, a deal can be done quite easily. Maybe United could send Phil Jones the other way?
United’s midfield in recent years has been nothing short of sub-par and is now in desperate need of restructuring.
Ten Hag preferably wants a deep-lying playmaker in De Jong but is also interested in a number 8 with moves for Adrien Rabiot and Sergej Milinkovic-Savic being touted.
Nunes could provide a smarter, cost-effective and more long-term solution than the aforementioned duo and is available for a reported £42m.
The Portuguese midfielder rejected a move to West Ham United earlier this month, meaning he could be holding out for something better.
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd goalkeeper Tom Heaton confirms he is out for a few weeks with an ankle injury
- Man Utd could lose Alejandro Garnacho to international duty in late May
- Bruno Fernandes wins Manchester United’s Player of the Month award for March
- Changes made to Owners’ and Directors’ Test could affect Man United takeover