Manchester United completed an incredible second-place finish in the Premier League after a miserable start to the season.
Their Europa League final defeat against Villarreal showed that they still need to strengthen their squad in the summer.
To ensure that the defence is not exposed, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer frequently deploys Fred and Scott McTominay in a double pivot.
However, this forces Paul Pogba to drift to the flanks or settle with a spot on the bench.
Solskjaer will utilise Pogba in a two-man midfield if the Red Devils can recruit a top-class holding midfielder.
This will allow him to accommodate another forward in the XI.
West Ham skipper Declan Rice is one of the names which have been linked with United.
But David Moyes won’t allow his most prized asset to leave without receiving a mammoth fee.
Here we consider three alternatives Manchester United can consider in place of Declan Rice.
1. Yves Bissouma
The 24-year old midfielder has been the standout player for Brighton & Hove Albion.
He possesses great energy and is very disciplined in his role.
He made 104 tackles in 36 league games for the Seagulls this season, second only to Luke Ayling’s tally of 108 tackles.
His main focus is always to win the ball back and help his side retain possession.
Bringing Bissouma to Old Trafford will allow Pogba and Fernandes to attack without having to worry about their defensive responsibilities.
2. Andre-Frank Anguissa
Andre-Frank Anguissa’s performances were the lone bright spot for Fulham who will be competing in the Championship next season.
Anguissa is expected to leave the club considering the growing number of admirers looking for his signature.
A few days back, Daily Mail reported that Arsenal, Aston Villa and Everton are interested in signing the 25-year old midfielder.
The Cameroon international is a powerful defensive midfielder who sits at the base of the midfield.
He has great positional awareness and is not afraid to engage in duels.
3. Wilfred Ndidi
Wilfred Ndidi is one of the key reasons why Leicester City’s defence has been so strong.
The Nigerian international made second highest tackles in the 2019/20 Premier League season.
He only played 26 times this season due to injury, but he still managed to rack up the fourth-most tackles in the league.
Even starting as a holding midfielder, Ndidi managed to score a goal and produced four assists.
He will bring the calmness and defensive dominance in the middle of the park that Solskjaer’s team is lacking at the moment.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin