Manchester United recently suffered a huge setback with Chelsea winning the race to sign Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi for €45 million.
The Frenchman was the Red Devils’ back-up target after missing out on Kim Min-jae, but he is now on his way to Stamford Bridge with the Blues.
Despite this, the club should still continue their search for a central defender, particularly after another underwhelming display from Maguire.
The England international struggled against Borussia Dortmund during the 3-2 friendly defeat last night.
He almost gifted the German outfit with their third goal at 2-1. He gave away possession in a dangerous area, but Andre Onana saved his blushes.
The Cameroonian made a terrific save to deny Sebastien Haller, and went on to give a mouthful to Maguire for his poor decision-making.
Aside from this, the former club captain almost scored an own goal before the hour mark. His misdirected header luckily hit the top of the woodwork.
It is quite clear that United need an upgrade on Maguire, and here are three possible candidates that they could target after missing out on Disasi.
Benjamin Pavard – Bayern Munich
Pavard has entered the final year of his contract at Bayern and he has decided to move on.
United are one of the clubs that have contacted his representative, but have yet to make a formal offer to Bayern.
The Frenchman would be a quality acquisition with his strong distribution skills and ability to make key tackles.
He could be the most affordable signing for the Red Devils. Bayern are willing to sell him for around €30m.
Goncalo Inacio – Sporting Lisbon
If United are looking for another left-footed centre-back, Inacio could be a good signing for them.
The Portuguese is one of the best young defenders in the Primeira Liga. He is now eyeing a bigger challenge.
Similarly to Pavard, he is good with the ball at his feet. He also likes to make clearances and win regular aerial duels.
Inacio is currently stalling over a new Sporting contract. He could be signed for his existing release clause of €45m.
Jean-Clair Todibo – Nice
The Frenchman has developed into a top-class centre-back since his move to Nice from Barcelona.
The 23-year-old is another strong ball-playing defender, who has no significant weakness in his game.
His recovery pace is one of his main strengths. He averaged a stunning eight recoveries last season.
The Red Devils are one of his long-term admirers, but it would require at least €45m to sign him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Squawka.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions
- Gareth Southgate to hold talks with Kobbie Mainoo as he is desperate to see him pledge his international future to England
- Three Manchester United changes Erik ten Hag should make for the must-win UCL clash against Galatasaray