Said Giggs, as he indulges in self-deprecation accepting the award for BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year. Widespread media reports suggest this was a surprise as he beat “supposed favourite” — and formula one driver — Jensen Button. Tee hee!
“I grew up watching this programme. To see the people that have won it and to be here is unbelievable.” He went on to add, “I am playing for the greatest manager that has ever lived and I’m playing for the greatest club. Perhaps I’ve become more appreciated as I have got older.”
Well done, Giggsy! Hopefully, your next stop is knighthood.
BBC link to article, which also contains video of his acceptance speech. [Tiny bit of irony as Freddie Flintoff, a Man City supporter, has had to announce Giggsy winning the prize.]
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action