Former Manchester United player Tahith Chong has joined Luton Town from Birmingham City for a reported fee of £4 million.
Laurie Whitwell reports that United are set to pocket £1m from this deal as they included a 25% sell-on clause on Chong when they sold him to the Blues last summer.
The 23-year-old scored four goals and registered five assists in 41 appearances for Birmingham.
Luton are looking to bolster their squad ahead of their Premier League return.
Manager Rob Edwards will be delighted to add Chong to his squad before the start of the season.
Man Utd leverage sell-on clause to boost transfer budget
United have lately found it tough to cash in on players at a reasonable price.
Due to their massive spending in the last few years, they are forced to work on a restricted budget this summer.
The Glazers have not invested their money into the club since their leveraged buy-out in 2005.
It has been eight months since they declared to sell the club, but the sale process is taking forever to complete.
Inserting a sell-on clause while offloading players will help United receive unexpected windfalls.
The Red Devils sold Zidane Iqbal to FC Utrecht for £850,000. However, they have included a clause that entitles them to 40% of his next transfer fee.
Iqbal is a promising talent with huge potential. He will get regular game time to improve his skills and United could benefit from his future transfer.
Ethan Laird is another youngster who left United this summer. Birmingham agreed to pay United £750,000 for this transfer.
However, the Red Devils played it smart by including a 30% sell-on clause that could benefit them further down the line.
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions