On a something of a slow news day, we can safely say it has been a fantastic weekend for Manchester United. Not only did Dimitar Berbatov score five against Blackburn Rovers yesterday, taking them clear at the top of the Premier League. Chelsea fumbled in their match at Newcastle, only managing a 1-1 draw which means United are clear at the top of the league for the first time this season.
To make things even better the draw for the F.A. Cup 3rd Round was made earlier today and to the delight of many we pulled Liverpool out of the hat. Pretty much a free ride to the fourth round then, given the form of the Anfield team.
Sir Alex Ferguson has also admitted that this will be Edwin van der Sar’s last season at United, “I have come to accept this will be Edwin’s last season,” Ferguson told The People.
“It’s sad but the difficulty for a goalkeeper when he gets to 40 is something which happened with Peter Shilton.
“All of a sudden, because of age, Shilton’s form just collapsed and I don’t think Edwin would want that. He is such a proud man and it’s going to be a big loss.
“We had a chat last season about how he saw his future and he explained to me his plans, and nothing has changed from then.
“It’s difficult because he has his wife’s health to consider after her illness.
“She is fine now and seems to be really good but she still has treatments to get in Holland, with physiotherapy and things like that. So for him to be here with us would be difficult,” the manager concluded.
One player who will be staying or at least he wants to, is Michael Carrick. The midfielder has come in for some criticism over the past 12 months after a severe dip in form, but he has shown signs of recovery in recent matches,
“I’ve had some unbelievable times here and, hopefully, will have many more. I love everything about being a United player,” he commented in an interview with The People.
“Nothing has happened regarding talks as yet, but this is the place for me – it’s a great club.”
But if Sir Alex wants to reinforce the midfield area there are rumours circulating that he may look to make a move for Bastian Schweinsteiger.
The German’s contract expires in 2012 and he may look to move on from Bayern Munich. The reported fee is £12 million, which is very much in United’s price range but with many of Europe’s other top clubs interested that price is likely to rise.
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow as Joshua Zirkzee wants to stay in Serie A
- Man Utd set to battle it out with Tottenham to land Bayer Leverkusen star Odion Kossounou
- Jeremie Frimpong is the most serious target for Man Utd, impressed by his performances
- Ratcliffe outlines three-year plan to knock Man City and Liverpool off their perch
- Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw set to miss the rest of the season
- Is Ashford’s United Arrival Now Simply A Matter Of Time?
- Wayne Rooney identifies Manchester United’s biggest issue right now
- Manchester United invite Gary Neville to help regenerate Old Trafford and surrounding area
- Manchester United’s FA Cup chances – can Hojlund fire the Red Devils to a trophy this season?
- Jadon Sancho struggles in Dortmund’s Champions League draw against PSV