Manchester United must sign a new striker in January in order to overtake Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United in the Premier League this season.
The Red Devils started their league campaign in the worst fashion with two defeats, but managed eight wins (two draws & two losses) from the next 12 games before the World Cup break.
They are currently three points and four points behind Spurs (4th) and Newcastle (3rd) respectively in the table with a game in hand and in our view, they must spend on a striker to leapfrog them.
Spurs have had a mixed season with several unconvincing displays, but they are always a threat for the Champions League spots with the world-class duo of Harry Kane and Heung-min Son up front.
On the other hand, many may say that the Magpies have punched above their weight, but with the backing of their Saudi investors, they could now invest heavily at the turn of the year.
The Tyneside outfit would have been hoping for a top-seven finish at the start of the season, but with a top-four place now on the radar, there could be another huge spending spree next month.
Keeping this in mind, the Red Devils must pursue a marquee striker in January, who can hit the ground running from the off. As Erik ten Hag always says, the club should find the right player.
He would suit Ten Hag, who prefers to work with versatile forwards up front such as Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial. United can ill-afford to delay their striker pursuit until the summer.
With Arsenal and Manchester City looking likely to cement the top two spots, the Red Devils face a fierce battle for the final two Champions League places with as many as four teams.
Chelsea and Liverpool will also respond after their frustrating starts this season. United need more quality up front and can’t afford to rely on Rashford and an injury-plagued Martial.
Rashford has impressed in phases this season, but has the tendency of missing out on clear-cut chances. Gakpo would be a superb acquisition with his terrific finishing in the box.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest