Manchester United aren’t expected to sign Wout Weghorst permanently this summer, so Erik ten Hag should shop for another centre-forward at the end of the season.
Tuttosport via FC Inter News say Lautaro Martinez is one player on United’s wishlist, but they don’t believe Inter Milan will let him go.
The Financial Times said in October that Inter are in financial difficulty and Tuttosport say at least one valuable asset could be sold, but Martinez isn’t up for sale.
The 25-year-old has scored 17 goals with seven assists from 36 games this season, so he’s indispensable.
United have a fervent need to strengthen their attack after Cristiano Ronaldo’s mutual termination in November.
His departure forced the Red Devils to bring in Weghorst in January, but he hasn’t had the desired impact at Old Trafford with two goals in 16 games.
Martinez is valued at £88 million but could be worth the astronomical price tag given his qualities. The Argentine international, who boasts 21 goals and seven assists from 46 caps, would be first in the United squad for shots on target per game (1.5).
He would also be third for chances created per game (1.4), fifth for successful dribbles per game (0.8) and first for fouls won per game (1.9).
Inter have Martinez tied down until 2026 and have no desire to let such an important player leave this summer, meaning United may be barking up the wrong tree.
The Red Devils have Harry Kane and Victor Osimhen on their list of transfer targets, but it remains to be seen which striker they end up with.
Stats from Transfermarkt and WhoScored
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books