Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes has described Kobbie Mainoo as a ‘Star boy’ ahead of the club’s Champions League group stage clash against Copenhagen tonight.
The Red Devils have found momentum with back-to-back wins in the Premier League. They were not convincing in either of those games, but managed to get over the line.
The club will be eyeing another victory against Copenhagen at home. The club have yet to pick up a point in the Champions League after defeats to Bayern Munich and Galatasaray.
Ahead of the game, Fernandes took to Instagram to praise Mainoo, who has now fully recovered from the knee injury picked up during pre-season against Real Madrid in the United States.
Mainoo should get valuable minutes in coming months
The 18-year-old had a superb start to pre-season for the Red Devils. He produced a stand-out display against Arsenal with an assist and had a passing accuracy of 96 per cent. He won all of his duels.
The youngster was rewarded with a starting role in the subsequent game versus Madrid, but he unfortunately picked up a freak injury on the back of Casemiro’s poor challenge on Rodrygo.
As a result, he has not featured for the club this campaign, but should get valuable minutes in the coming months. Mainoo can play anywhere in midfield which is a huge plus.
He is unlikely to start against Copenhagen tonight, but could get on the pitch in the second half if United find themselves in a comfortable position with a two or three goal lead.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions