Spain international Fernando Llorente is reportedly delaying a decision over his next club in the hope that he will receive a contract proposal from Manchester United, an exclusive from TEAMtalk claims.
The 34-year-old is currently a free-agent following his release from Tottenham Hotspur, where he contributed a tally of 13 goals and six assists from 66 appearances in all competitions.
According to TEAMtalk, the representatives of the striker have already made contact with the Red Devils, who had considered the option of signing the Spaniard shortly after the departure of Romelu Lukaku on deadline day.
The same publication claims that manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may yet consider a move for the former Athletic Bilbao star, considering the club are participating in four competitions including the Europa League, where they are fancied to compete in the final stages.
At present, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Alexis Sanchez are the senior options at the manager’s disposal for the centre-forward role, but the latter’s future remains uncertain amid the loan approach from Inter Milan.
As such, Solskjaer may potentially find himself in a situation where he may have to rely on the young Mason Greenwood as the third-choice striker and that presents a risk with the teenager relatively inexperienced at the first-team level.
Llorente has been associated with potential moves to Napoli, Fiorentina and Lazio of late, but the prospect of staying in the Premier League with United seems a lucrative option for the striker. He may not have the quality to regularly lead the line, but his physical presence could enhance United’s aerial game when required.
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m