Manchester United are understood to have found the breakthrough over a new long-term deal with goalkeeper David de Gea. The Spain international has been in a contract standoff with the Red Devils over the past 18 months but The Telegraph claims that he has finally agreed to commit his future to the club.
As per the publication, the Spaniard has agreed to pen a fresh six-year contract with the Mancunian giants after being offered with a salary package of around £375,000-a-week. No official announcement has been made by the Red Devils regarding the extension, but The Telegraph suggests that the necessary formalities will be completed once the club return from their pre-season tour of Australia and the Far East.
De Gea has been a consistent performer in the United ranks and this has seen him voted as the Sir Busby Player of the Year in four of the past six seasons. The previous campaign was not the best for the Spaniard as he was guilty of making a few high-profile mistakes, but that was never expected to harm his reputation with the club.
Meanwhile, De Gea also harbours the ambition of becoming the permanent club captain ahead of the forthcoming campaign and it remains to be seen whom Ole Gunnar Solskjaer chooses, considering Antonio Valencia has parted ways with the club.
Manchester United have enjoyed the perfect run during their ongoing pre-season tour and they will be hoping to end the trip on a high when they face Tottenham Hotspur in the International Champions Cup on Thursday. The club have scored seven goals in their three friendly games without conceding.
- Erik ten Hag gives his backing to Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Van de Beek’s former agent blasts Man Utd over unfair treatment of the midfielder
- Manchester United team news: Erik ten Hag gives fitness updates on three key players
- Marcus Rashford wins Premier League Player of the Month for September
- Manchester United vs West Ham United – October 30 – New Kick-off Time
- Manchester City vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, Potential Line-ups & How to Watch
- David De Gea to hold talks with Erik ten Hag as his Man United future hangs in balance
- Pogba admits he fell short of expectations at Manchester United
- Rashford and Martial doubtful for Manchester derby after missing training
- Roberto Carlos names two current Man United players he would like to play with