Late post today, but better late than never.
Cristiano Ronaldo is inching closer to a return to the side and feels frustrated at not being involved in United’s current campaign. In fact, shockingly, Fergie says Ronaldo could even be part of the squad travelling to Villarreal.
“I hope I’ll be back to playing football soon. I already count the days to my return and the recovery process is going perfectly. Right now my plan is playing, scoring lots of goals and helping Manchester United and Portugal win titles this year. My dream is being the best footballer in the world but I haven’t made it yet. This is the first time I’ve been out for such a long time and it’s a tough experience. Watching the games from the stands hurts me a lot without being able to do anything to help my team-mates.”
Despite all the talk about how the international break takes the sting out of the season, it’s a good thing for us particularly. Since the start of the season, we’ve only played Pompey and Newcastle in the league; I can’t be too bothered about the Super Cup and the Community Shield. So we haven’t missed Ronaldo as much as we would have missed him if we were forced to play lot more games in the league without him.
Hopefully Berbatov settles in as quickly as Larsson did, the season before last.
Speaking of Berbatov he admits to being a little nervous ahead of the Liverpool game. Any footballer would be nervous to be making his debut for United and, of all the teams, against a rival as fierce as Liverpool. Here’s hoping he scores at least 5 goals. Anything less would spell disaster.
Sir Alex has spoken about Man City, and also Sparky’s nonsensical statement (that the City-Chelsea game this weekend is bigger than our game against Liverpool.):
“I had better check what Mark has had for his breakfast because something must be upsetting him. How many games did he play for United against Liverpool? Our game is the biggest. It is a great game.”
I couldn’t have said it better myself. There is a longish interview with Fergie in the official site where he talks about the fitness of Carrick and Hargo and the Liverpool game, among other things.
I’ll end this with a video of the pre-match conference clip where Fergie and Berba speak to the UK media.
EDIT: Here’s the 11 minute press conference with Fergie.
- Man Utd really like Juventus star Gleison Bremer, will cost at least €70m
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe finally completes purchase of minority stake in Manchester United
- Man Utd star Casemiro open to Saudi Arabia move, interest remains valid
- Man Utd pressing to sign Gleison Bremer, strongly targeting summer deal
- Chelsea beat Manchester United to the signing of Sam Jewell
- Man United spending power to be limited this summer amid PSR concerns
- Wan-Bissaka out for two to four weeks with fresh injury but Mount close to availability
- Manchester United could rival Liverpool for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi if Dan Ashworth can be appointed in time
- Manchester United table offer for Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe
- Manchester United won’t pay £20m for Newcastle director Dan Ashworth