Some people calling the shots at Manchester United wanted Aston Villa goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez to replace David de Gea during the summer transfer window.
However, manager Erik ten Hag insisted on signing Andre Onana instead, according to Independent journalist Miguel Delaney.
Delaney claimed in his ‘Reading the Game’ newsletter today that the Argentina international was heavily pushed within the Old Trafford club as someone who was very ready to step up to an elite club after his exertions at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar last December.
His abrasive personality was admired by some of the Red Devils’ top brass, but Ten Hag was keener on a reunion with Onana instead.
The 27-year-old joined Man United from Inter Milan and is only starting to find his feet following a run of regular mistakes and gaffes.
Not everyone at the club would have been pleased with Onana’s earlier displays, and the club’s unimpressive start to 2023-24 has been far from pleasing.
Man United have lost nine of their opening 17 matches across all competitions this term, and Ten Hag has been blamed in some quarters for failing to recruit the right kind of players.
The Dutchman has had his way with recruitment, but it has failed to yield results this term.
Onana has the potential to become one of the best goalkeepers in the division despite his shaky start to life as a Man United player.
Martinez would have most likely hit the ground running had he joined the Old Trafford club given his heroics at Arsenal and Villa, but Ten Hag has no regrets about sticking with his decision to sign the Cameroon international.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin