Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has described Louis Van Gaal as the man United needed to steady the ship following last season’s shambolic performances. The Norwegian labeled Van Gaal as a “breath of fresh air” and said the Dutchman’s charisma and aura will restore a winning mentality at the club.
United have won six games in a row and are the Premier League’s in-form side going into what could turn out to be a crucial Christmas period, as United face Villa, Spurs and Stoke away with Newcastle at home on Boxing Day the only festive fixture at Old Trafford.
“He’s been a breath of fresh air,” Solskjaer told the Manchester Evening News. “The fans and the players needed a strong personality.”
“You see he’s talking about winning the championship. I think that’s the Man United mentality.
“We shouldn’t talk about being third or fourth. We should talk about winning the league.”
Over the last few days, Van Gaal and Wayne Rooney have claimed that United can still challenge for the title and Solskjaer refused to rule out his former side from the title race.
“I’ve been here for too many years to say they can’t. Be in the hunt in March April and you never know. That’s when everything gets decided.”
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season