Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has named four elite players on his transfer wish list, as per The Guardian.
The list includes Jadon Sancho, Harry Kane, Declan Rice and Pau Torres.
The Red Devils have built a strong squad under Solskjaer’s guidance. However, he still needs quality additions in the summer that can help the club compete for silverware.
Their humiliating defeat against Villarreal yesterday showed that the club is still a long way away from matching the quality possessed by Manchester City.
Given the expected total cost of more than £300 million, Solskjaer understands that adding four key signings is unlikely.
Sancho looks more probable to arrive at Old Trafford after being linked with the club since last summer.
The Kane transfer situation is also a subject that has to be addressed by Red Devils’ manager.
If Tottenham are ready to listen to offers for their marksman, United will be tempted to make a bid for him.
They cannot allow their cross-town rivals Man City to get one of the best centre-forwards without any competition.
Seeing him move to Etihad Stadium will extend the gap in the quality of the two sides.
With Kane, Riyad Mahrez and Phil Foden up front and Kevin De Bruyne working his magic in midfield, City would be unstoppable.
Torres is one of the names being evaluated to partner Harry Maguire next term.
Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane is another well-established defender whose future is in the air.
His contract will expire in the summer of 2022 but is yet to sign an extension with Los Blancos.
Rice is the player the Norwegian boss has selected as his primary midfield target.
The 22-year old has played a crucial role in taking West Ham United into Europe.
Rice is their most prized asset and they won’t allow him to leave until they get the sky-high transfer fee they desire.
In these financially tough times, it is hard to see Joel Glazer approving the funds for all big names.
However, even if Solskjaer is able to get two or three of them, he will have a squad that will be expected to mount a serious title challenge next season.
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-3-1-2) vs Arsenal, Ronaldo and Maguire return
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal