Manchester United midfielder Sofyan Amrabat produced a solid performance for Morocco during their 1-1 draw against DR Congo in the African Cup of Nations.
The 27-year-old joined the Red Devils on loan from Fiorentina last summer after much speculation. He had a good start to his United career, but has been a fringe player over recent months.
Despite this, he continues to remain a mainstay for his national team. He was brilliant in the recent win over Tanzania and delivered another fine display against DR Congo on Sunday.
Amrabat completed 94 per cent of his passes at the Stade de San Pedro. He won six ground and aerial duels, made three successful tackles and lost possession on just three occasions.
Despite his top showing, Morocco were not able to secure another win. An early goal from Achraf Hakimi put them on course for three points, but DR Congo equalised late through Silas.
Morocco are still comfortably top of Group F with four points, two ahead of DR Congo and Zambia. They are guaranteed to make the next round, but will be aiming to finish top of the pile.
Meanwhile, Amrabat will be hoping for more minutes at United on his return from AFCON.
The Fiorentina loanee was anticipated to play a key part in the club’s plans, but his playing time has drastically reduced recently with the emergence of Kobbie Mainoo from the academy.
Mainoo has made the number six position his own in recent games. Casemiro has returned from a lengthy hamstring injury, but there is no guarantee that the Brazilian will start ahead of the teenager.
Hence, Amrabat may struggle for regular minutes in the back end of the season. As things stand, it looks like he will return to Florence this summer. United are unlikely to trigger the buy option.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow