Sporting Lisbon midfielder Bruno Fernandes is understood to be desperate to seal a move to Manchester United before the transfer window closes next week, Sky Sports News reports.
The Portugal international has been regularly linked with a move to Old Trafford since the turn of the year but so far, a deal has not materialised with Sporting reluctant to reduce their £68m price tag.
As a result, negotiations are likely to continue between the sides during the current week and Sky Sports News claims that the 25-year-old is keen on making the switch to the Premier League with the Red Devils.
United have recently been hampered by the injury setback (stress fracture) to Marcus Rashford and he is unlikely to return to action for the next few months due to the rehabilitation and recovery process.
In such a case, most of the scoring burden may fall on the shoulders of Anthony Martial and a young Mason Greenwood but they would still require an effective distributor behind them, who can provide through balls.
Fernandes, who has contributed 13 goals and 10 assists for Sporting this term, perfectly fits the requirement and hopefully, the setback for Rashford can encourage the club to push through a deal for the playmaker.
Fernandes recently played through the entire league derby against Benfica over the weekend which ended in a 1-0 loss for Sporting. He has now been included in the squad to face Braga in the Portuguese League Cup semi-final.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin