Sky Sports chief reporter Kaveh Solhekol has offered insight regarding the reason behind Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s prolonged deal to acquire a stake in Manchester United.
It had been announced that the Man United hierarchy will meet on Thursday to deliberate on the British billionaire’s ambition to purchase a 25% stake in the club.
Despite previous assertions that the meeting is only a formality required to ratify Ratcliffe’s bid, Man United fans may have to wait another fortnight for clarification on the boardroom changes.
The delay has understandably raised concerns among the Man United faithful, who eagerly await a change at the boardroom level. But Solkehol has hinted at a possible resolution in the coming days.
“It’s a very complicated deal, but I think that is why it is taking a little bit longer than anticipated,” Solhekol said on Sky Sports.
“We’re approaching the endgame, and I think that is going to be Sir Jim Ratcliffe buying at least a minority stake to begin with.”
Ratcliffe’s deal is worth approximately £1.3 billion and is expected to hand his company INEOS complete control of the club’s sporting operation.
The 71-year-old had already begun lining up potential changes at the club amid reports linking former Tottenham Hotspur scout Paul Mitchell with a sporting director role at Man United.
While Ratcliffe’s deal is still expected to go through, some final details need to be thrashed, and Solhekol further analysed how the agreement could pan out.
“The board meeting hasn’t been called to discuss or ratify a specific deal, so I would be surprised if there was any announcement tomorrow about Sir Jim Ratcliffe buying 25% of Manchester United,” Solhekol added.
“The Glazer family own 69% of the club, so you’ve got to think about the other 31% of the shares that are listed on the New York Stock Exchange as well.
“Then there has to be an agreement about Ratcliffe buying the rest of the shares and owning the whole club if that is what he wants to do.
“Also there has to be an agreement over his control of the football side of the operation when he only owns 25% of the club.”
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling