Former Arsenal striker Kevin Campbell believes Manchester United are in the mix for the Premier League title following their victory at Leeds United on Sunday.
The Red Devils returned to winning ways with a 2-0 triumph at Elland Road yesterday. With the result, they have reduced the gap to leaders Arsenal to five points, though they have played two games more.
Speaking on Sky Sports, Campbell has now said that the club are seriously in the title race with manager Erik ten Hag already getting the best out of his squad.
He added that Marcus Rashford is in excellent form at the moment and United have got strength in depth, having won at Leeds with key players being rested.
He said: “Ten Hag is really getting a tune out of this Manchester United side. Marcus Rashford is on fire. They are in the mix for the title, make no mistake about it.”
“They have played two games more than Arsenal who are top, but their form right now, you have to take them seriously. They have got strength in depth.
They can afford to leave major players out of the squad and still go to Elland Road and win 2-0. It wasn’t convincing, but to win there 2-0 is very difficult to do.
“I’d take Manchester United very seriously now.”
United have outside chance of winning the league
The Red Devils are currently two points behind Manchester City, who have a game in hand. They are a further three adrift of the Gunners, who have played two games less.
The top-two still have to face each other twice and this is where United could benefit. If City manage to take points out of Arsenal, it could put United right in the title mix.
United would still need to have a perfect run over the next three months which appears a huge challenge at the moment, considering the injuries taking a toll on the squad.
There has also been an overreliance on Marcus Rashford to find the back of the net. If the goals dry up for him, United may struggle to keep up in the league title pursuit.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups