Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fred will undergo a medical today ahead of completing a move to Manchester United, Sky Sports understand.
The 25-year-old has strongly been linked with a move to us this summer, with Gianluca Di Marzio breaking the news that we had agreed a deal with the Ukrainian Premier League side last month.
Fred featured in Brazil’s 2-0 pre-World Cup friendly win over Croatia at Anfield on Sunday prior to making the short trip across to our Carrington training centre today.
Jose Mourinho has been expected to sign two new central midfielders this summer following the retirement of Michael Carrick and expected departure of Marouane Fellaini.
Fred has been one of the favourites to join us for several weeks now, whilst Lazio’s Sergej Milinkovic-Savic is believed to be our other priority target.
The Brazilian international has been with Shakhtar since moving from his homeland in 2013 and has played more than 150 games for the club. He has eight caps for his country and is part of Tite’s 23-man squad for this summer’s World Cup.
Tite wants us to wrap up the deal as soon as possible in order not to cause any problems for the player’s build up for Russia.
Brazil face Austria in Vienna on Saturday 10 June before heading to Russia. The report from Sky Sports suggests we’re ready to wrap up the deal as soon as the player completes his medical today.
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns
- Fabrizio Romano: Manchester United preparing to sign a new centre-back in 2024
- Man Utd interested in signing Tottenham midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in January
- Erik ten Hag confirms double boost for Crystal Palace clash but defensive duo injured
- Manchester United announce Antony’s comeback amid physical assault allegations