Manchester United co-owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe has no plans to make any major signings for the club during the January transfer window, according to French outlet Le10Sport.
The INEOS boss has requested that the Red Devils’ recruitment team freeze all files on transfer targets until further notice.
Man United could experience a very quiet transfer window, with only loan signings expected if players arrive at Old Trafford this month.
Ratcliffe is currently in England to meet with club officials after sending his right-hand man Sir Dave Brailsford to hold talks with manager Erik ten Hag and the coaching and recruitment staff on Sunday.
The British billionaire plans to hold the meeting next week, with Jean-Claude Blanc – head of INEOS Sport portfolio – expected to be part of the talks.
The decision on whom to appoint as the director of football or whether or not to recruit one will also be made.
Ratcliffe’s deal is yet to be ratified by the Premier League, but INEOS have already started taking control of the football operations of the club.
As part of his agreement with the Glazers, Man United cannot buy or sell players without consulting him.
The OGC Nice owner does not want to rush things and will prefer to wait until the summer transfer window before giving the green light for major signings.
Man United football director John Murtough told fans last month not to expect a busy January transfer window, and it appears Ratcliffe has approved the decision.
“Looking ahead to the January transfer window, we are not expecting it to be particularly busy,” Murtough said.
“There will always be the possibility of deals around the edges of the squad, particularly in terms of finding opportunities for players who are not playing as much football as they would like.
“However, we’ve always been consistent in saying that we do not see January as the optimal time to do business and our recruitment strategy remains focused on summer windows.”
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow