Sir Alex Ferguson was full of praise for manager Erik ten Hag following the club’s Carabao Cup final triumph over Newcastle United on Sunday evening.
The Red Devils ended their six-year trophy drought with a 2-0 win over the Magpies and following the game, Sir Alex was delighted with Ten Hag’s work.
Speaking exclusively to Sky Sports, the 81-year-old said that the Dutchman is going the right way at United and his signings have been ‘really good’.
The legendary boss added that Ten Hag has already got a grip of the club, having brought success in the form of silverware, just months after taking charge.
He said: “United is based on success. He’s going the right way about it. His signings have been really good – I think that was important – and he’s got a grip of the club, which is really big for him. When you come to United, you try to get off to a good start right away and he’s doing well.”
Meanwhile, Sir Alex also heaped praise on ‘fantastic’ Marcus Rashford but added that he is not a striker by trade and the club could do with an extra one.
He added: “I don’t think he’s a striker. He operates away from the left hand side. But he’s fantastic. His finishing is good. He always keeps his shots down, which is really important. He’s in a great vein of form. Unfortunately for us, he’s the main source of goals, we could do with an extra one. But he is doing it.”
Man Utd definitely need a marquee striker
Rashford has been in fabulous form during the current season and he is the club’s undisputed top scorer with 25 goals from 38 games across all competitions.
Behind him, Bruno Fernandes has been the second-best with just seven goals to his name while Anthony Martial and Antony have netted six times apiece this term.
Martial was expected to be Ten Hag’s main man up front but five separate injuries during the campaign have drastically reduced his minutes on the playing field.
United can’t rely on the Frenchman’s fitness anymore and they must invest on a marquee striker that can easily score 25-30 goals per season to deliver trophies.
Napoli’s Victor Osimhen and Benfica’s Goncalo Ramos seem the priority targets for the Red Devils but they are also looking at Atalanta starlet Rasmus Hojlund.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books