Simon Jordan has criticised Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag over his post-match remark claiming his side put in a ‘solid performance’ in their 1-0 win over Fulham on Saturday.
The Red Devils initially took the lead through Scott McTominay, who slotted home from Alejandro Garnacho’s cross. But celebrations were cut short after VAR deemed Harry Maguire offside in the build-up.
Ten Hag’s side subsequently struggled to create any worthwhile chances against a Fulham side that had more shots in the opposition box (nine) than the Red Devils (six).
Despite boasting the lion’s share of possession, Man United finally broke the deadlock courtesy of a last-minute strike from skipper Bruno Fernandes, snapping their two-match losing streak.
Ten Hag admitted he was pleased with his side’s performance, but Jordan didn’t share in the Dutchman’s enthusiasm, slamming Man United for their ‘poor’ display against the Cottagers.
“As a football manager, he [Ten Hag] talks about the fact that clearly the response was there – well, I didn’t see that,” Jordan said on talkSPORT.
“I saw a turgid, tepid game of football, which was poor in the first half. I saw players like Antony miles off. There was stuff made out of [Marcus] Rashford, but the explanation was that he was injured.
“I look at it and say, by the fact that the opposition was poor and the fact that United just about got over the line is not a testament for Ten Hag to double down on the idea that these players are fully behind him.”
The victory over Fulham took Man United to within six points of the top four, although they are closer to the bottom half of the table, four points ahead of 11th-placed West Ham United.
Ten Hag will be looking for another victory when his side travel to Denmark to face FC Copenhagen on Wednesday with their Champions League hopes hanging in the balance.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin