Manchester United academy director Nick Cox recently labelled Evan Ferguson a ‘£50 million-plus mistake’ after the club failed to sign him following a youth trial.
The Brighton & Hove Albion striker’s performances this season suggest Cox may have a point, with the 18-year-old netting ten goals in 23 appearances.
According to Sky Sports, the Red Devils will try to sign Ferguson in the summer of 2024. The question is, should they?
Ferguson has potential, but let’s not get too giddy
Plenty of pundits and journalists have been getting themselves into a lather about Ferguson’s performances for Brighton this term.
While the excitement is understandable, it is much too soon to suggest he will become a £100 million player in the future.
Ferguson has been likened to England captain Harry Kane, which is no bad thing given his goalscoring record for Tottenham.
However, without the evidence of a full senior season under his belt, United would be well advised not to get drawn in by the hyperbole surrounding Ferguson.
Professional football is littered with examples of promising teenagers who burst onto the scene before quickly finding their true level.
The Republic of Ireland international may ultimately not fall into that category, but spending over £50m to find out is a hugely risky move.
Bagging less than a goal every two games for Brighton is one thing – leading the line for a club of United’s stature is another.
It’s worth noting that Brighton have previous form for selling players for top dollar who have subsequently failed to shine.
Ferguson appears to have the tools to be a big hit, but let’s see him deliver the goods more consistently before everyone gets too giddy about him.
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’