Sevilla’s Jules Kounde is reportedly keen on a move to Manchester United this summer.
According to Marca, the 22-year-old has turned down Tottenham Hotspur’s advances as he wants to join a Champions League club.
The Sun has claimed that the only club Kounde wants to join is Manchester United.
The young defender enjoyed an impressive 2020-21 season with the Spanish outfit.
He made 34 La Liga appearances for Julen Lopetegui’s side last term, helping them finish fourth.
He was also part of the France squad that crashed out of the European Championships after being defeated by Switzerland in the round of 16.
He was heavily linked with Spurs but is not interested in joining the north London club.
United are closing in on a move to Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane.
Agreement on personal terms with the 28-year-old doesn’t appear to be a problem, but there is a disagreement between Madrid and United over the transfer fee.
United are also wary of being used by the player’s agent in contract negotiations with Madrid, although it now genuinely seems like Varane wants a change of scenery.
If the Red Devils fail to land their primary target, Kounde looks like a perfect alternative for them.
He’s fast and can also fill in at right-back, which gives United much-needed cover for Aaron Wan-Bissaka and would alleviate the need to spend more money this transfer window on a right-back.
All things considered, Kounde would be a fine signing for United despite the hefty price tag (reportedly more than £50 million).
Varane does give United the instant upgrade in central defence that the team has been screaming out for a few seasons.
But if there’s no Varane, Kounde ticks more boxes for the club than any other player and would be an ideal reinforcement.
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars