La Liga strugglers Sevilla are edging closer to finalising an agreement to snap up Manchester United youngster Hannibal Mejbri on a short-term loan deal, The Athletic reports.
Mejbri has struggled for playing time this season, earning a place in Erik ten Hag’s line-up just ten times across all competitions, chipping in with a goal.
Despite his bit-part role in Ten Hag’s side, United recognise the 20-year-old’s potential and have extended his contract, keeping him at Old Trafford until 2025.
He is now set to join Sevilla on a temporary basis, and if his spell at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium is successful, the La Liga club will have an option to make a permanent purchase.
United stand to make a sizeable profit from the Tunisia international, who came through the youth ranks at the club before earning a place in the first team in the summer of 2022.
There is also an expectation of the potential permanent deal featuring a buy-back option for United, who are determined to retain an element of control over the future of the highly rated prodigy.
Mejbri enjoyed a productive stint on loan at Birmingham City last season, notching a goal and six assists in 41 appearances across all competitions.
His performances for the Championship side were enough to convince Ten Hag to keep him in the squad.
However, Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence scuppered his chances of a permanent place in the team.
The move to Sevilla will give Mejbri the chance to realise his potential and develop into a top-quality midfielder if he can get enough games and minutes on the pitch.
Everton had attempted to hijack Sevilla’s move for the midfielder, but the proposal from the La Liga outfit is considered the more favourable to United and the player.
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow