In an exclusive interview with GQ Magazine, Raphael Varane has opened the door to spending the remainder of his career at Manchester United.
The Frenchman joined the Red Devils from Real Madrid in the summer of 2021 and he has since been a key player for them at the heart of the defence.
Varane is currently one of the indispensable figures in the squad and he has now welcomed the possibility of seeing out the rest of his career at United.
Speaking to GQ Magazine, he said: “A serious option. I will finish my career either at Real Madrid, Manchester United or at Lens.”
“For sure I won’t do another club, but Madrid, it seems complicated. You don’t tend to go back generally. The most likely is that I end in Manchester or Lens.”
Varane has been a fantastic acquisition for United
The World Cup winner has had his fair share of injuries in his short United career, but he has been an undisputed starter when available for selection.
This season, Varane has formed a superb partnership with Lisandro Martinez in central defence. He has completed 86% of his passes while making 3.7 clearances.
The duo have played a huge part in the club’s brilliant campaign thus far and there is still work to be done to qualify for next season’s Champions League.
Meanwhile, United recently ended their six-year trophy drought by winning the Carabao Cup but they are still in contention to win the FA Cup and Europa League.
Varane was absent for the Fulham game before the break with a knock but United fans will be hoping that he will be available for the trip to Newcastle United.
United are likely to pursue another marquee centre-back in the near future, but Varane should continue to remain a key player so long as he can stay unscathed.
Stats from Sofascore.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’