Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag has confirmed that Alejandro Garnacho picked up a serious injury during the goalless Premier League draw against Southampton last weekend.
The Argentine was the subject of a hard challenge from Kyle Walker-Peters in the box on Sunday and he was visibly in pain for several minutes after the incident.
Garnacho was eventually substituted by Ten Hag and the manager has now said that he can not provide an exact timescale for his recovery from the untimely setback.
Speaking in his press conference before the Real Betis game, the Dutchman acknowledged that Garnacho will be sidelined for several weeks as it is a ‘serious injury’.
He told Manutd.com: “I can’t say exactly at this moment but it will take weeks. So it’s a serious injury I didn’t expect.”
“A foul and a serious injury once again, after Christian Eriksen, a serious injury after a contact. He makes good progression and he was selected by the national team.
“He was in a really good development. He will be back before the end of the season. We can win a lot so he has to be ready.”
Garnacho’s injury opens the door for fringe players
Garnacho has had a superb breakthrough season with nine goal involvements in 31 games. He has directly contributed to several match-winning moments.
The youngster was unfortunate not to make the World Cup squad with Argentina last year and will now need to wait for his debut after suffering an ankle injury.
With the international break coming up, Garnacho has more time to recover from the setback and hopefully, he will be involved for the club in the season run-in.
Meanwhile, Garnacho’s setback opens the door for the likes of Anthony Elanga and Facundo Pellistri to step up, having played limited football in recent months.
The duo have been tipped to leave on loan next season but still have the opportunity to change the manager’s mind by putting in some stand-out displays.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups