According to Belgian radio station RTL, Napoli have been keeping an eye on Fellaini but are reluctant to sign on a permanent basis and would prefer a loan deal, while United are thought to be demanding a fee of £15 for the midfielder, who doesn’t feature in Louis Van Gaal’s plans.
“Fellaini is one of the names on the table, but not the only one,” said Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis yesterday, in an interview with an Italian radio station.
The Napoli president claimed that Fellaini would be the perfect midfield partner for Gokhan Inler, though De Laurentiis’ judgement was simply based on the Belgian’s hair style.
“They would make a nice pair,” said De Laurentiis
“Fellaini has long hair and the Swiss [Inler] is shaven. Together they have a hairstyle that looks like a lion’s mane and three years ago I presented Inler with the mask of a lion!”
Hair styles apart, RTL’s report suggests that now AS Roma have entered the race for Fellaini too and could scupper Napoli’s plans, though De Laurentiis’ club looks to have already agreed a deal in principle with the Belgian but the negotiations are made increasingly complicated by the fact that United are still in the US for their pre-season tour.
- ‘A complete and very intelligent player’: Man Utd target backed to shine in the Premier League
- Hannibal Mejbri could become a regular starter under Erik ten Hag after ‘excellent’ display
- Jonny Evans delivers fantastic performance in 200th appearance for Man Utd
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Burnley, Mejbri starts
- ‘Very happy with him’: Erik ten Hag praises Sergio Reguilon ahead of Burnley clash
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount is an option on the right wing vs Burnley
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Burnley, Varane returns in three changes
- Erik ten Hag on Jadon Sancho’s Man Utd future
- Romero says Man Utd star thought he was God on earth, was like that 24 hours a day
- Erik ten Hag hints four Man Utd stars could return vs Burnley