Former Manchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero was at the centre of a mass brawl between River Plate and Boca Juniors.
The two teams, who have one of the fiercest rivalries in world football, received three red cards each in a crazy Superclasico on Sunday at the Estadio Monumental.
The Primera Division match looked to be heading for a draw when both sides failed to break the deadlock in normal time.
However, River Plate were awarded a penalty in injury time and that’s when things turned ugly.
Miguel Borja converted the spot-kick, sending Romero the wrong way in the 93rd minute.
A melee ensued in the aftermath of the penalty, with the former United keeper at the centre of it all.
The mass brawl started when Romero was taunted by Argentine midfielder Agustin Palavecino about conceding the penalty.
Things ultimately settled down but only after the intervention of stewards and riot police.
The referee dismissed three players from each team and Boca Juniors head coach Jorge Almiron.
River Plate held on to seal a 1-0 success that extended their lead to nine points at the top.
Romero was at Manchester United between 2015 and 2021, joining the Premier League giants from Sampdoria.
During his six-year stint at Old Trafford, he kept 39 clean sheets in 61 senior appearances.
He featured primarily in the Europa League and FA Cup, where he played 23 and 17 matches respectively.
- Man Utd handed big boost as Juventus lower price tag for Dusan Vlahovic
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m