Paul Pogba’s Manchester United future has been a regular topic of speculation in recent months, and the club have yet to convince him to extend his deal.
The Frenchman will be free to negotiate a pre-contract with a foreign club in January, and it appears that he could head for the exit door at the end of the campaign.
Amidst the uncertainty over Pogba’s future, United appear to be looking at potential options.
One of those is Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, who has heavily been linked with them.
The Serbian has been with Lazio since 2015, but appears to be eyeing a fresh challenge with the ambition of winning trophies and playing Champions League football.
Lazio have been reluctant to sell him over the years. They valued him at a staggering €140 million previously.
It is now claimed that they may struggle to get €80 million amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Serie A outfit are keen to recoup funds for their long-term project under manager Maurizio Sarri.
Milinkovic-Savic could be sold during next summer’s transfer window.
Pogba has his destiny in his own hands. The midfielder appears to be eyeing a higher salary package, but United seem quite clear that they are unlikely to increase their proposal on the table.
If he leaves, Milinkovic-Savic could be a suitable successor. The 26-year-old is regarded as one of the best box-to-box midfielders in the Italian top-flight at the moment.
The Serbian has accumulated an impressive tally of five goal and five assists from 17 league games this term, while he has been equally efficient in the defensive scheme of things.
He has registered 1.5 tackles and one interception per game. The midfielder is also strong with his aerial presence.
He has won an average of three aerial duels during the Serie A campaign.
Milinkovic-Savic has all the traits to succeed in the Premier League. He is valued at around €70m by Transfermarkt.
It could be a figure that could convince Lazio to sanction his sale.
The midfielder would be an ideal signing for United with a long-term plan in mind.
He is two years younger than Pogba and is defensively more assured while committing lesser fouls.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Whoscored.com.
- Man Utd leading race to sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic
- Man Utd willing to pay €50m for Villarreal defender Pau Torres
- Man Utd sell out season tickets for next season, but when will £200m+ renovation start?
- Harry Maguire makes England squad for Nations League games
- Man Utd handed blow in pursuit of Darwin Nunez
- Erik ten Hag gives his verdict on Harry Maguire’s Man Utd captaincy
- Man Utd to receive summer spending boost with £48m cleared off wage bill
- Erik ten Hag looking forward to Donny van de Beek reunion
- Bruno Fernandes produces dismal display at Crystal Palace
- David de Gea sends clear message to unhappy Man Utd stars