Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay produced one of the best cameos in the Premier League during the dramatic 2-1 win over Brentford.
The Red Devils had a poor start at Old Trafford earlier today and they went behind in the 26th minute. Andre Onana’s poor handling allowed Mathias Jensen to open the scoring for the visitors.
The Bees managed to hold onto their lead until stoppage time and it looked like United were heading for a fifth league defeat of the campaign before McTominay’s heroics coming off the bench.
The Scot put United level in the 93rd minute after scoring off a rebound from Diogo Dalot’s shot. In the 97th minute, McTominay grabbed a dramatic winner, nodding his header beyond Thomas Strakosha.
The 26-year-old has rarely started under manager Erik ten Hag but he proved a big point against the Bees with a display which could change his fortunes following the international break.
Aside from his two goals, McTominay completed 100% of his passes and won 100% of his ground duels. It was a sublime performance from the Scot, who was touted to leave last summer.
With the victory, United remain in 10th in the league table with 12 points on the board. They are currently four points adrift of fourth-placed Liverpool, who have a game in hand.
Their showing against Brentford was below-par until the dramatic turnaround, but Ten Hag will be hoping that the result will pave the way for better performances after the international break.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling